Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Unfortunate sock length

Well, I am sorry to say that today's progress with the Kalajoki socks wasn't the most amazingly successful venture I was hoping it would be.

I had a lot of trouble figuring out how long I should knit the foot before decreasing for the toes. My 2-at-a-time socks book says, generally, start decreasing when your sock is 1.25 inches shorter than you want it, measuring from the back of the heel. Then the Socks For Soldiers (SFS) regulation pattern says that, for a size 11 (what I guessed I was making) you should make the foot 11 inches long. So I figured I should start decreasing for the toes at 9.5 inches.

Well, then I got started watching a really exciting movie, and just kept knitting way past 9.5 inches. So I had to rip back a few rows to get to the right length, and started decreasing for the toes.

Luckily, my brother got home from Boston today, so I could try them on his feet before I got too far. And this was the result:





Yikes! Well, brother went and checked his shoe, and revealed that he was, in fact, a size 10. Okay. And he says the socks fit great every other direction. Which is good. I just need to rip back a good 1.5 inches before beginning the decrease again. Observe:



I gotta decrease to that blue pin there. See my sad face?

Ah well. Now I have to make sure that, when I make the second sock, I mess up on that one just as much as this one, so they will be messed up symmetrically. ^^

Hilariously enough, everyone at my lovely Harmony Haven Knitters was having a rough time with their patterns, so we called it quit and just chatted. Today was show and tell day, so we all got to show off a bit. (Pictured: my lace Razor Cami and felted messenger bag)



I really love having a group of knitters to chill with once a week. I'd never really had one quite like this, with people of all ages and backgrounds getting together just to knit. Truly wonderful. :-) Now I just have to organize one at Vandy ^^

I would like to leave you tonight with an introduction. Meet my Kitty!



Yes, her name is Kitty. She helps me knit sometimes and tonight was one of those occasions. "What, is this lap occupied? You can fool around with sticks and string anytime. I need to be petted NOW!" She's not a huge fan of the paparazzi (read: my webcam) but she's just so darn cute! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment