Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy National Crochet Month!

Hooray for crochet! I look forward to doing lots of this excellent craft this month in honor of National Crochet Month. :)

Well, Internet, I've been a bad blogger. Again. *sigh* I guess I never learn, huh?

All right: we've got some catching up to do!

First of all, the Guido scarf that I made for 9, the musical that my student organization put on in January, turned out BEAUTIFULLY!

Here's me modeling it:



And here's the actor who got to wear it in the show, Michael, modeling it:



Doesn't he look snappy? The scarf was a big hit, and got lots of great comments both from cast members and from the audience. When the show ended, Michael had grown so attached to the scarf that he asked if he could keep it. And why not? So he's the proud owner of that masterpiece.

It was a great first crazy colorwork project for me. It turned out beautifully, and I'm really proud. It was a hard skill to pick up, but pick it up I did, and I got plenty of practice on that whole huge scarf, and I feel really confident about my colorworking skills now! :)

After the scarf, I haven't been doing a lot of crafting. This semester has taken me for quite a crazy ride so far. I made the hat for Erin that y'all have already, seen, but I'll put in the picture again:



She really likes it! I made it in this great acrylic-mohair blend I got from a yarn swap from the knitting ladies in Portland, and wiht this gorgeous lace pattern called the Carson Cap (Ravelry pattern page). It was a fun project to make, and it turned out great!

Then I'm in the middle of a pair of arm warmers for Tessa! I'm using the CanCans pattern (Ravelry pattern link). The first one came out great!



It's mostly just plain ol' stockinette, but with a cool twisted stitch pattern going up the center of the back of the wrist and hand. So pretty! And it has THUMBS! I've never made thumbs before!!! I'm using the Nature's Palette fingering weight yarn, which is GORGEOUS! It's made all with natural plant dyes, it's all earth-friendly and all that good stuff. I cast on the second one yesterday, so hopefully that'll get done soon!

That's about all the knitting updates. My bummer knitting news is that the pattern for the dress that I've been wanting to make for soooo long got taken down. It'll supposedly be back up soon, but for sale. I just hope they put it back up soon! :(

Now for my exciting life news! I said yesterday that I have 4 cool pieces of news! It turns out that I forgot one of them, so really it's 5 pieces of exciting life news!

1. My best friend from Austin's sister had a beautiful baby boy this weekend. I'm SO PROUD! <3
2. I got an interview for the summer job I applied for. I would be a camp counselor/RA at an academic summer camp at Vanderbilt. The interview is Friday. SO EXCITED!
3. I was officially asked to be the Assistant Director for Vanderbilt Off Broadway's production next year. This is REALLY awesome news because I will be in line to be the Director my senior year. Which will be REALLY awesome!
4. I have officially decided to study abroad in Japan next Spring! The application is not due until October or something, so I don't have to do much for it for a while. But in the meantime, it has given me new motivation to do well in my Japanese language classes! Which I needed... this language is SO HARD!!!
5. Last but not least, I got a new pet fishy!!!



His name is Colonel Fishwilliam H. Fishington III, or Mr. Fishy for short. <3 He's a beautiful male betta fish, colored a gorgeous blue-y purple. He's a little camera shy, and it's hard to get a picture that really does his colors justice, but these will have to do for now!



I've always wondered why people have pet fish, since they seem so boring and stuff. My reasons for getting him, though, were that I decided I need to learn to take care of another life. I want to get a cat when I leave Vanderbilt, and I figured my first pet should probably be a fish. I'd feel way worse about accidentally killing a kitten than accidentally killing a fish.

But since I brought Fishy home, I've been so happy! I talk to him a lot (my neighbors must be confused) and it's nice to have someone to say hello to when I come home. And he has a personality and everything! When I sit down at my desk (right by his tank), he swims up to the glass nearest me, and we commune for a bit before he swims away and goes about his fishy business. Then, when it gets close to feeding time, he swims right up to the glass in the corner nearest his food tin. He seems happy and healthy and I'm soooo glad to have a great pet and friend in Fishwilliam! Also, I've been bragging about him to anyone who'll listen and showing him off to anyone who comes by my room. ^^

Well, that's just about everything y'all missed from my looooong blogging hiatus! I'll try to blog more often (I say that too much, don't I?) but in the meantime, have a FANTASTIC National Crochet Month!

Happy Knitting (and Crocheting!),
~YoungKnitter

No comments:

Post a Comment