Monday, July 13, 2009

socks and cabling

Today was my Dad's birthday, and for some reason birthdays in my family are really not exciting. We do something in the morning and then again at night, but in the meantime, we just chill. SO! I spent a good part of today just chilling. While I was chilling, I just so happened to be sitting next to my mom's sock book (2-at-a-time Socks, by Melissa Morgan-Oakes) so I got all excited about getting into socks. The first pair I made ended up pretty weird, Cuz they were designed for toddlers, but my guage is WAY off, so they ended up more me-sized. But slightly wacky. And pointy-toed. Then I tried to start a second pair, but the yarn SUCKED!!! It was that kind that's "reinforced" with some weird white stuff in the middle and the colored part wrapped around it, but the colored stuff bunches up all weird and stuff. It's actually the yarn from 3 posts ago with the little baggie thing. :-) Anyways, it sucks, so I got sick of doing battle with it and so I gave up on the socks.

So I want to learn how to cable. I've heard its super easy, but I've never tried! There's this pair of socks in the book I mentioned earlier called "Athena" socks, and they're BEAUTIFUL! The socks have this beautiful cable pattern along the top. Anyways, I got the yarn and the needles and everything, but I want my first cabling project to be a little less... intense. So! I've got this plan to work up to these beautiful socks:

My mom found a pattern for a SUPER simple cabled scarf, which I wanna try first, to figure out how to cable. I've also started on a pair of socks in the book just to get used to the 2-at-a-time method. Then, this other pair of socks caled "Frolick socks" in the book, which has a much simpler cable pattern than the Athena socks, and also is designed for little kids so I'll be done faster. I'll do that once I finish this current one. Then, if I feel like I'm suitably prepared, I'll do the Athena pair. :-)

I'll keep the internet updated on my progress in this matter. ^^

As I was trying to choose a simple sock to make to get used to the 2-at-a-time method, I had an interesting revelation. I can start designing. I mean, nothing too compicated (yet), I just need to check a suitable pattern for how many to cast on, and then I don't really need a pattern. I can just do a simple rib or just stockinette stitch, and screw the pattern. I haven't tried this yet, but it was a cool idea at the time. ^^

Anyways, that's my epic plan for now. ^^ I really hope I get the hang of socks. I mean, they make fantastic gifts and it'll be really cool to have a few pair of socks of my own that I knit with my own two hands, to keep and wear and show off and such. :D

So here's the deal about my current pair of socks: the pattern in the book is called "Berry Season," but I call them the "ADD socks" since I've only got about 3 inches so far, but there has so far been 4 different stitch patterns: Garter stitch, stockinette stitch, 2x2 rib, and the "berry season stitch pattern." WTF???? Yeah. It's been "interesting." Maybe I'll just give up cuz its too much work and continue in stockinette stitch and just have a cool cuff. ^^ Anyways, here's a picture of the socks so far:

At the risk of babbling too much, I'll just mention how much I'm liking the 2-at-a-time socks method. True, its the only method I've ever really tried, aside from double-points (which are awful, btw. Double pointed needles make me want to stab myself). The 2-at-a-time method is intensely confusing and frustrating at times, but once I get my rhythm I really enjoy it. :-) Plus, while I dont have personal experience with second-sock-syndrome, I would guess that I would be an easy victim, considering my inability to finish projects. ^^

Anyways. It's late, and I should probably go sleep, rather than knit. :-)
Take care, and happy knitting!


  1. I made this exact pattern and finished just a week ago. I found a few things I didn't like about the pattern. The slipped stitch pattern has much less elasticity than the ribbing so when I tried them on after the ribbing it was no problem to get over my heel but when I knit the berry pattern a couple of inches I found that I could no longer get the sock on. (My sister could so I kept going) then when knitting the instep in the berry pattern and the sole in stockinette I found that the berry pattern had a shorter row gauge than the stockinette so the sole of the sock looks considerable longer than the instep. The finished socks toe turns up as a result. It looks fine on my sock blocker and hopefully it will fit my cousin since I knit them as a graduation present. I did really like the way the toe was finished. Good luck. -Ms. Feinstein

  2. Yeah, I noticed that about the berry stitch pattern. I didn't follow through with the stitch pattern much longer than an inch or so... but still the difference in elasticity makes it fit all weird (so far anyways, since I'm only about midway down the foot now). Definitely not gift-material. >.< But I'm glad your socks turned out better than expected! :D