Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sock yarn issue

I had quite a tangle (hawhaw) with a particularly pesky skein of yarn today as I attempted to cast on my SECOND pair of socks I've ever made :-) I read somewhere that you can put the skein in a plastic bag, cut holes in each corner, and thread the two ends of the center-pull-skein through each hole, thus avoiding a huge tangley mess. ... Let's just say that didn't quite work out how I wanted it to. After some serious wrassling and quite a bit of muted cussing, I decided to give it up as a bad job and just roll the skein into two separate balls and keep them in the plastic bag together, with each end coming out each corner-hole. Confusing? Perhaps. A picture!!!! :D :D :D (I got a shiny new camera as a graduation gift yesterday, and am having WAY too much fun with it ^^) :


As you can see, the plastic bag is conveniently labeled so that the yarn from sock A is separated from the yarn for sock B! ^^ This skein is 100 grams, so I just rolled a ball until it weighed 50 grams, cut the string, and rolled the second half of the skein into a second ball. As you can probably tell, they're not equal in size, but whatevs. :-)

BTW, I'm using the 2-at-a-time method, knitting two socks at one time on one circular needle. Thus the two-strings-on-one-project nonsense. ^^

Whoops! Gotta go graduate! I'll write more later :-)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I never heard of or thought of this. Thanks for the cool tip.
    -Feinstein

    ReplyDelete